Monday, December 24, 2012

Paula Deen's Strawberry Shortcake Trifle


I typically am in charge of holiday desserts, and I had a really hard time deciding what to make for Event #1 this year. I wanted something a little lightish because that is what sounds the most appealing to my pregnant self. : ) I definitely don't think of strawberries for Christmas, but hey, they're red! Also, my kids love them, and the only way I would spring for them at $3.99/lb is for Christmas. So, I decided to create a less diabetes inducing version of the Paula Deen original. Here is my recipe,

Ingredients

  • 1 frozen pound cake

For the custard:

  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

For the glaze:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 6 tablespoons strawberry gelatin (recommended: Jell-O)
  • 2 cup water
  • 3 lbs of strawberries (if berries are extra large, they can be cut into quarters) 

Directions

Slice cake, using a serrated knife, horizontally into 3 equal layers.

For the custard:

Mix together cream cheese, condensed milk, and whipped topping in a bowl; set aside.(Note, I recommend whipping the cream cheese first. I didn't, and I couldn't get my mixture totally smooth.)

For the glaze:

In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin; add water. Cook stirring over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Add slowly to your strawberry mixture and stir until they are lightly coated. I used about 2/3 of the mixture. I didn't want my cake to be soggy!

For assembly:

Place 1 layer of cake in a large clear bowl. Top with a layer of glaze, followed by a layer of custard mixture. Repeat layering in this order for remaining cake, glaze and custard.Chill and serve! YUM!

See more recipes at beautyandbedlam.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers