Monday, November 8, 2010

My mom's chicken and rice...


I guess it is a vintage recipe kind of day! I was trying to think of a favorite recipe I could throw in the oven and have around for leftovers this week. I haven't made my mom's chicken and rice in really long time, so it sounded like a good option. Now, I said this is a FAVORITE recipe, not a HEALTHY recipe! Ha! Incidentally, I don't eat the chicken, just the rice. It's soooooo good!

For the rice you need,

1 2/3 cup of regular cook white rice
3 cans of Campbell's cream of chicken soup (You may be able to get away with 1 family sized can.)
3 tablespoons of melted butter
1/2 small onion, diced
Pepper to taste

(I doubled the rice.)

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and spread in to a buttered 9x12 pan. Then, all you have to do is place some bone-in, skin on chicken pieces on top! Pour an additional 3 tablespoons of melted butter over the chicken. Cover with foil. Bake at 300 for two hours. Then, remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes at 350.

8 comments:

  1. I use cream of mushroom and a packet of lipton onion soup mix, but I really like the idea of cream of chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a reason why some recipes stand the test of time - this one looks great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! I would love it if you would share this recipe on my weekly recipe swap. And while your there you can check out other great recipes!

    http://homeandpantry.blogspot.com/2010/11/pantry-recipe-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh -- my mom used to make this too and I'd forgotten about it until today!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the old casseroles. They are always delicious and carry wonderful memories with them. Your chicken and rice sounds perfect. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Followers