It was almost 80 degrees here in Kansas City today, so we're flashing back to a summer recipe I never got around to sharing. When my husband turned 35, he requested an ice cream cake. It just happened to work out that ice cream sandwiches were on sale for $1.99 a box, so I decided to use this fake-out ice cream cake recipe instead of paying a fortune for a DQ cake.
This is the recipe,
24 ice cream sandwiches
8 oz Cool Whip
1 cup of Heath candy bar chips (You really could substitute any candy, but the Heath chips are easy!)
1 bottle of chocolate syrup
1 jar of caramel syrup
- First Layer: 12 ice cream sandwiches, placed over bottom of an 8x13 pan
- Second Layer: half the container of Cool Whip
- Third Layer: half of the Heath chips, topped with half of the chocolate syrup and half of the caramel topping
- Fourth Layer: the rest of the ice cream sandwiches
- Fifth Layer: the rest of the Cool Whip
- Sixth Layer: the rest of the Heath chips, topped with the rest of the caramel topping and the chocolate syrup
- Freeze for 6-8 hours and eat as desired.