Saturday, December 25, 2010

Green Rice Casserole

Pin It

We really love broccoli cheese rice casserole, but I'd never made it before. I decided I'd try it for our Christmas Eve dinner, and it turned out really good! I adapted a version from www.allrecipes.com.
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen or fresh chopped broccoli
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
  • 16 oz Velveeta (melted)
  • 1/2 cup of sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked regular long-grain white rice ( ie Measure 1.5 cups dry and prepare.)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I thought it needed A LOT.)

Directions

  1. Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
  2. Stir the broccoli in the skillet and cook until it's tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in the milk, soup, cheese sauce and rice. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Pour the broccoli mixture into a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
In hindsight, I would not use a 10 inch skillet for the preparation next time. It would have been much easier to use a large saucepan. Regardless, the rice turned out great, and I got a lot of compliments! I'm excited to have a new side dish recipe in my repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers