Sunday, September 26, 2010

UPromise

(I do apologize because I'm having some trouble with the HTML on this post.)

I got a nice comment from a reader that I thought I would share and reply to...

 Lauren said,
         
          "Hey,
I've been starting to get into reading "frugal blogs" (for lack of a better term), and I wanted to say that you are the first person I've seen mention college savings. I think it is really great to see a blogger drawing the full picture and considering costs which others might consider "splurges." I am curious if you know of/use UPromise. It's a college savings site that hooks up to your grocery savings cards, and helps you save money toward college with the products you already buy. It's usually just 1-2% of what you spend (on particular products) but your kids are young enough that it could be a chunk of change by the time they reach college years. I didn't start until late MS/early HS and we still had about $200 saved. I'll look forward to reading mroe of your blog." Thanks for noticing the detail about college savings! Our situation is a little unique in that we are a frugal 2 income family. A lot of frugal bloggers are SAHMs, and that's great! It just so happens that our situation won't allow that. I work because we think it is most responsible for us at this time to carry health insurance. My husband's income is reasonable, but without decent health coverage, it would be a very scary way to live. (Before anyone takes the time to fill me in, I know about co-op opportunities. Thanks though!) So, even though we are working hard on college savings now, there is NO WAY we would have the extra cash if we were a single income family. It just wouldn't happen other than few nickles and dimes there and there. I can't blame anyone else who can't get there either! And yes, I do use Upromise. It's definitely not a fast way to earn $$$, but as you said, it's something! In about 4 years, I've saved $150.88. It doesn't sound like a lot, but I figure by the time our youngest goes to college, we should have easily earned $1,000. $1,000 is a lot any day of the week! If there are any readers out there who are already not saving for their children or grandchildren, there are ways you can help out other members! The easiest is to do any of your online shopping through this link: With this method, you don't have to register any of your debit or grocery cards, you can just help out once or twice by moving through the UPromise stores link when you make a purchase online instead of going directly to the online retailer. It's really easy and a brilliant way for parents to rack up some extra savings by utilizing their contacts lists.

http://www.upromise.com/guest/2118326863

You can also join another account members family and friends. With this arrangement, you can register your credit, debit and grocery cards to rack up savings on more every day purchases. It's pretty easy! If anyone would be interested in joining our family and family, let me know, and I'll email you an invitation! Long story short, if you're trying to ramp up your college savings, UPromise certainly doesn't hurt, and I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers