Sunday, July 31, 2011

No Bake Lemon Cake


Today is my mom's 62nd birthday! Happy Birthday mom!

I really enjoy blessing people with a special treat on their birthday. My mother in law's birthday cake of choice is Mocha Chocolate Chip Icebox Cake . My father in law likes Boston Cream Casserole. (This is also known as Eclair Cake, but we've been making it since before Paula Deen gave it a name!) My mom always makes my dad pumpkin cake with buttermilk caramel frosting. So fun!

Now, my mom is a little bit trickier. I'm not sure she'll ever really settle on a favorite. Sometimes she wants just a store bought birthday cake or a fresh strawberry pie from the grocery store bakery. This year, I didn't ask her what she wanted because she lovvvvvvvvvvvvvves lemon, and I wanted to try this recipe out on her. We LOVED it. It's SO lemony and refreshing!

Here is the recipe,

1 box of graham crackers
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon

Whisk together the can of sweetened condensed milk, the lemon juice and the zest of 1 lemon. In a 9x9 baking dish (which I didn't use,) place a single layer of graham crackers. Pour a thin layer of the lemon and milk mixture (1/3 of the mix) and add another layer of graham crackers. Repeat 3 times. On the top layer of graham crackers, you will top with a layer of lemon buttercream frosting and refrigerate over night.

Here is the recipe for the buttercream,

1 stick of butter
1 cup of powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons of milk
1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice

With a hand mixer, beat the stick of butter and powdered sugar. Thin the mixture with the milk as necessary. VERY SLOWLY, add the lemon juice. If it curdles on you, just add a little bit more powdered sugar.

See other recipes at www.balancingbeautyandbedlam.com.

9 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I like that you have two layers, with the buttercream to cut a little of the tart layer. Is sounds delish.


    If you’d like, I wanted to invite you to share your best recipes over at my new party, Recipe Sharing Monday at Jam Hands. I’m going to be featuring my favorite submissions during the week and I’d love it if you’d join in the fun. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummmmm? No bake cake huh? Sounds perfect for these over 100 degrees kitchens this summer!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Good Rule: Keep Cool
    ~Rainey @ The Project Table~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unique recipe - bet it's flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this looks delicious! I love the combination of condensed milk and lemon. And, to top it off with a lemon buttercream sounds divine! Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a unique recipe. I have never seen anything like it.
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great, totally making it this week for dessert!
    I pinned it, too...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum - I must give this a try! Sounds like a perfect easy cake to take to a church potluck!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive