I'm still on my quest to use up our freezer full of blueberries since picking season is not all that far off! I've had this recipe for blueberry sauce in my recipe box on allrecipes.com for a super long time, and I finally got around to making it. I totally loved it! It made my pancakes deliciously special. It would also be a great sauce over ice cream, and I was thinking we might have to try to make shakes with the leftovers tomorrow night. YUM!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, 1/4 cup of water, orange juice, and sugar. Stir gently, and bring to a boil.
- In a cup or small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the blueberries so as not to mash the berries. Simmer gently until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract and cinnamon. Thin sauce with water if it is too thick for your liking.