Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cheesy Veggie Chowder

 (Not a great picture because my people were IMPATIENTLY waiting to eat!)

I think I initially saw this recipe on MoneySavingMom from LuLuTheBaker. My people absolutely LOVE Broccoli Cheese soup, but I had never made it! When I saw that this recipe was so EASY, I figured I should give it a shot. Oh, we loved it! My only regret is that it doesn't make much. The second time I made it, I double the batch, so we had some for the freezer! I highly recommend it! It's very tasty, hearty and EASY. And ya'll know I love anything that will get veggies in my kid without a fight!

Here is my adapted recipe,

2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped carrot
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth (I used bullion cubes and water for $ saving purposes.)
3 baking potatoes, peeled and diced
1 Tablespoon flour (I used a little more.)
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup milk
1 lb of broccoli
2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese

Melt the butter in a large soup pot.  Add onions, carrots, and saute over medium heat until tender.  Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.  Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender.  Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.  Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through.  Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.
 
Viola!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers