Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hershey's Syrup Brownies

This is another recipe from my mom's kitchen and my childhood. It's really darn good and so chocolaty! The recipe came from an old church cookbook, I believe, and she's been making these brownies since the beginning of time (at least my time!)

Here it is!

Brownies -

1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter
4 eggs
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
12 oz of Hershey's syrup (In the dark ages, this was one can. Can you still buy a CAN of Hershey's syrup?)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of nuts (I omitted.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together sugar, butter and eggs. Add flour, baking powder, syrup and vanilla. Mix well. Fold in nuts. Pour into greased 17x11 inch cookie sheet. Bake 22 minutes.

Frosting -

1 1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons of butter
6 tablespoons of milk
6 oz of chocolate chips

Boil sugar, butter and milk for 30 seconds. Removing from heat. Add chocolate chips. Stir until chips are melted. Spread on top of brownies right out of oven.

AND YUM.

My two year old's response to eating these was, "Mommy, you the best mommy EVA!"

11 comments:

  1. WOW! This sounds so rich and chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU so much for sharing this recipe. I saw your menu post the other day and was really hoping you would! I also wanted to say I love your blog, I found it recently and visit a few times a week. I love when you share all of your shopping trips and the recipes you loved from your childhood! Keep up the good work, it's much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that Hershey's syrup must make these brownies the chocolatiest ever. I'm starting a new linky party on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the very best brownies - I've made them many times and love them!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up with Sweets for a Saturday. I truly appreciate the support. I hope you'll be able to join in again next week. By that time I'll have a cute button that you can grab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case you haven't tried this: I started making my own homemade chocolate syrup and just putting it back in the store bought product's bottle - or a canning jar if mine has had its better days. The recipe is here: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/chocolatesyrup.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best mommy eva ... that is so sweet. It's so wonderful when we can do that for our children. Thank you for sharing such a great recipe with all of us, and at Vintage Recipe Thursday. (Don't forget to use a hyperlink back.) I haven't seen that size can, or the 8 oz size, in the longest time, but they still make 16 oz and 8 lbs. cans. We switched to organic chocolate syrup though. It's real chocolate and not just "Genuine Chocolate Flavor."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a can of Hershey's syrup a few months ago for a chocolate cake. After seeing these brownies, I think it needs to be a staple in my pantry. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! Those look so delicious :)

    Stopping by from Mouthwatering Mon and man is my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We called these Iowa Brownies growing up. So delicious and moist. I haven't seen the Hershey's can in years.

    ReplyDelete

Followers