Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork

 
I was up and at 'em early this past Saturday morning. I needed to hit the grocery store, but I didn't have a meal plan. I figured The Pioneer Woman's blog was probably a surefire bet for a quick idea, and I was right! I ran the recipe for her Dr. Pepper pork by my husband, and we had a Sunday night football dinner planned! Incidentally, he's been complaining that "everything" I made is spicy lately, so I didn't tell him about the chipotles! My version of the recipe only used 1/4 of the can, and he didn't complain! He just said they "had a little kick," so the switch was a good one! I also made mine in the crock pot, and I was very happy with the results! Here is the recipe and instructions for cooking this in the crock pot,
  • 1 whole Large Onion
  • 1 whole Pork Shoulder ("Pork Butt") - 5ish lbs
  • Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 3 oz of Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce (canned)
  • 2 cans Dr. Pepper 
  • 2 tablespoons of Vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar 
1. Peel the onions, chop and place in the bottom of your crock pot.
2. Rinse your pot roast, and place it in the crock pot. Generously season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour the Dr. Pepper, Chipotles and Adobo and vinegar over your roast.
4. Sprinkle with brown sugar 

I cooked mine for 10 hours on low in my crock pot. That being said, my crock pot cooks VERY hot. The liquid was boiling. If your liquid doesn't boil on low, it may take you 10 hours on high! Regardless, when the meat is super tender and you are able to shred it with a fork, take that baby out of there and give it a good shred! After I removed the fat and shredded mine, I returned it to the liquid and kept it on warm. So yummy!


1 comment:

  1. These look delish! Love me a good pulled pork sandwich! Your newest follower...come visit at KnitOne,PearlOnion where there's always something yummy happening. -- Joann.

    ReplyDelete

Followers