Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes


A few weeks ago, I ran across this recipe for Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes on Pinterest, and I thought it would be perfect for my husband's birthday. I'm normally not a fan of making cupcakes. I think they're a little bit of a pain, but these looked worth it! Oh my gosh, were TOTALLY worth it! My husband's family expects me to go all out dessert-wise when we get together, and everyone loved these! They really were very easy too, especially since I "cheated" and used a boxed cake mix. (Seriously though, is that really cheating??? Why wouldn't you use a boxed cake mix??? Who can really tell the difference???)

Here is the recipe,

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes -

1 box of Dark Chocolate Cake Mix

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting -



  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons half and half
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure mint extract
  • 2 drops green food coloring
  • a pinch of salt (Don't omit this! It really made a difference in the flavor!)
  • 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
  •  

    Instructions -

    1. Prepare and bake the cake mix as instructed for cupcakes. Cool completely.

    2. Beat softened butter with a hand mixer. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix in the half and half, mint extract, green food coloring and salt. Beat for 2 or 3 minutes. If the frosting is too thin add more sugar. If the frosting is too thick add, a little more half and half. You can also add more mint extract and/or green coloring to adjust the flavor and color if necessary.

    We really enjoyed this recipe, and I would definitely make it again. I think it would be a fun addition to a bake sale or a kid's party of any kind. It's not that much harder than using a prepared frosting, but it is so much more impressive!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Followers