(Excuse the mess! Focus on the deliciousness!)
Umm, YUM. I really cannot stand frozen veggie burgers, but I sure do love a good homemade black bean burger! I was excited to try this recipe since it had such good reviews, and the ingredients are so frugal and easy! However, I discovered about halfway through the process that I was out of both cumin and bread crumbs. Oops! My adjusted recipe was as follows:
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced very fine
- 1/2 onion diced very fine
- 3 teaspoons of jarred garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of Louisiana hot sauce
- 1/2 cup brown rice
*Disclaimer* - Black bean burgers tend not to stay together very well -- even the ones I've had at nice restaurants. I baked mine in the oven, and they really held together pretty well. I did have one kind of crumble when I flipped it, but the others were just fine. I would recommend using leftover rice as it tends to dry out, and I would also let these rest a good 5 or so minutes before transferring to a bun. They seem to be firmer when they're not super hot.
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- Stir bell pepper, onion and garlic in to black bean mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, taco seasoning and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in brown rice until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
I will admit that my kids were a little reluctant to try it. They couldn't have managed it in a bun and were not quite sure what to do with it once it started to crumble after I cut it up. They DID both eat a pretty decent amount but not without some prompting. I was secretly kind of happy because I stashed the leftovers in the freezer, so I will be able to have leftover black bean burgers for the rest of the week at work! Sounds like a good lunch to me!
Grocery Cart Challenge, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, LifeasMom, Krazy Kitchen and Mouthwatering Monday.