Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins




Remember how I bought like 6 lbs of cranberries last week? In my search for cranberry recipes, I came upon this recipe for pumpkin cranberry muffins. I was a little wary of the cranberry and pumpkin combination, but I figured with the high ratings, I didn't have much to lose!

I made these for the first time last Sunday as an after dinner snack. We ate them warm out of the oven, and we were a little "eh" about them. Both my big girl and my husband thought the cranberries were too tart. The other half of the family (being me and the little girl) thought they were just fine but nothing to excited about. Incidentally, I took one to work for an afternoon snack and Oh.My.Gosh. these were so delicious the next day. Really, REALLY delicious.

I did adjust these a little bit for health purposes the first time I made them. The second time I made them, I decided to ramp up the spice a little bit too. Here is my adjusted recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped

Directions

  1. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar; add the pumpkin and oil and mix well. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cranberries. Fill foil-or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Top with cinnamon and sugar.
I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive