(Pictured is the non-vegetarian version.)
Several years back, we had a chili cook off on Christmas Day. My husband made this recipe, and I reallllllllllly liked it. However, I'm not a big meat eater, so I adapted it to a meat-free version that I make when my husband isn't home. : )
The recipe is as follows -
- 1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 (ounce) can of corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- In a large pot over high heat combine tomato juice, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, corn, onions, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, sugar, oregano, ground black pepper, salt, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. (Note: If using a slow cooker, set on low, add ingredients, and cook for 8 to 10 hours.)
One of the things I love most about the recipe (other than that my kids will eat it) is that it's SUPER healthy, and it makes A LOT. I usually have enough for everyone to eat until their stuffed for dinner dinner + lunch leftovers the next day. I usually freeze a second big container which is enough for me and the girls for dinner.
Also, I plugged it in to a recipe analyzer, and it got an A! Pretty awesome! Where else can you get 31 grams of fiber and 42.8 grams of protein???
For another family favorite that freezes well, see my cranberry orange scone recipe!
Fore more vegetarian recipes, see Vegetarian Foodie Friday!