Saturday, October 10, 2009

Baking Weekend!

Our plans for today got cancelled. I didn't want to haul the girls out just for a $20 trip to the grocery store. However, I knew that if I just left Daddy with what we had around the house on Monday, he wouldn't know what to feed the girls. That fact, paired with a gallon of milk that expires today, left me with a mission. A baking day!

We started by making a quadruple batch of pancakes!



I use the Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat mix. We really like it, but I do doctor it up a little. My favorite way is to add canned pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. However, I have yet to see pumpkin puree on sale at the store. I hear there is a shortage. This time, I tried replacing the oil with chunky cinnamon appleauce. It's not quiet as apple-y as I would have liked, but it's still good!

The finished result!


We'll save some of these for a quick breakfast for the girls in the morning, and I'll freeze the rest. The girls love just eating these dry for breakfast, or sometimes I will pack one in their lunch. I also keep a bottle of syrup at work, so I can grab a few frozen ones if I need to grab a lunch on the fly.

Next, we made baked whole wheat spaghetti. I usually make this with Campanelle or Gemelli and call it "cavatini," but I was out. (Thankfully Barilla is on sale for $.99 this week! I'll buy 8 or 10 boxes as we eat this a lot!)

I basically make this like a lasagne. I boil the noodles about half way and layer in a cheese mixture and sauce. For the cheese mixture I use --

1 big tub of cottage cheese
1 8 oz bag of some sort of Italian cheese
About a half cup of Parmesan cheese
A few shakes of parsley, garlic, oregano and basil, salt and pepper

I also make my own sauce sometimes, but I'm finding I can get jarred organic Ragu on sale with a coupon for cheaper than I can make it. And, a little secret -- this time I used a little leftover Campbell's tomato soup. I'm thinkin' no one will know the difference!

Not my best photography effort, but here it is!



I actually made one to bake today, and a mini one to freeze in a Tupperware for a busy work night. I've never tried freezing one in anything other than a foil pan, so that will be interesting! Hopefully I'll be able to thaw a little and transfer to another dish.

This bakes at 350 degrees for about an hour and a half until bubbly in the middle!

Next up, Earl Gray shortbread cookies, and I'll be making apple crisp tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Loved your cranberry chicken recipe last week. It seems so easy but great on flavor. Just wanted you to know that Mister Linky is up and ready for Crock Pot Wednesday. Thanks so much for participating.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive