Saturday, February 20, 2010

Daniel Fast on a Budget



I decided at the very last minute to participate in our church-wide Daniel Fast from sundown on Ash Wednesday for 7 days. I decided that it was very important to take the time to draw near to God and to pray for vision for our family's individual and collective future. My hesitation was that I knew I didn't have any extra money to put towards the effort and that the rest of my family is not participating. While the budget issue made the effort just that much harder, I figured it was more authentic. I've had to be a little bit generous with the effort in terms of the "rules" but even in that moment where you know that you are eating white rice instead of brown, there is that opportunity to pray.

I actually made two quick trips to the store so far already this week. I spent $7 on 3 1/2 gallons of Minute Maid OJ and two lbs of whole wheat spaghetti. Last night, we went to Hen House, and I got the items picture above. The total was $21.30 pre-tax. I saved $20.41. We'll make one more quick trip today, and that will cover it!

See this week's other purchase here.

See last week here.

3 comments:

  1. My grandmother is a pastor of a church and her church is doing the daniel fast and she says you can't have the oats and brown rice because if you read the scripture it says only fruits vegtables and water. But more power to you, I can't do it and I'm not even trying. Just trying to help if you want a "true" Daniel fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think there are different variations based on different scripture interpretations. The verse that is commonly referenced is “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” Daniel 10:2, 3. Daniel 1:14 also references the word "vegetables" in modern translations, but the translation is subject to question among some scholars.

    Ultimately, I suppose I am not overly concerned with the technicalities. What matters is not the minute details of what you give up but what you are pursuing in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just came across your blog and wanted to let you know about my blog, Those Who Hunger, which provides recipes and devotionals for people doing the Daniel Fast. Perhaps it will encourage you. I pray that the Lord will richly bless you as you seek Him during your fast.

    www.thosewhohunger.blogspot.com

    "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." - Matthew 5:6

    ReplyDelete

Followers