Saturday, February 6, 2010

Superbowl Week


We are STILL down with the stomach flu around here. We have all had it now, and both my husband and the baby have had it twice. IF there is a "positive" part of all of this, it's that I didn't even NEED groceries this week, except for fresh fruit and milk. It was a good thing I didn't really need much because the sales were BAD. All I had on my list for this trip was Oreos (because they were free,) milk, cream cheese, avocados, the ingredients for cake balls and ketchup. I had a special request for Malt O Meal and everything else I bought on a whim. I was lucky to find several good coupons in the store (Price Chopper) for Cheez-Its, Cakesters and Wheatables.

Here is a breakdown of what I got --

1/2 gallon of organic whole milk
1 lb of butter
3 bricks of cream cheese
1 box of Cakesters (free)
1 box of Golden Oreos (free)
1 box of Cheez-Its Duoz
1 brick of Velveeta
1 box of Almond Wheatables (very nearly free)
1 box of Duncan Hines cake mix
3 bottles of Heinz ketchup
1 box of chocolate Malt o Meal
2 boxes of Orville Reddenbacher popcorn
1 package of Charmin Basic toilet paper
1 Betty Crocker vanilla frosting

I actually did WAY better that I thought I was going to. I saved $28.43. My pre-tax total was $37.37. It wasn't a great trip, but I knew it wouldn't be!

I will make a trip to Hy-Vee today, but I really don't have much on my list -- almond bark, tortilla chips and apples. That will take care of my grocery budget, but I also need diapers and wipes. I can't make it until the new drug store ads tomorrow, but I have a B1G1 free Huggies coupon! (How often does THAT happen???) I am really close to a $10 gift card with Hy Vee's baby bucks program, so I'll buy there this time.

As usual, we don't have much of an elaborate meal plan. We'll celebrate Superbowl Sunday with enchiladas, chips and Rotel. My favorite! Since we have Alpha again on Monday nights, I don't have to worry about Monday night's dinner. Tuesday night, I'll be working hard on cake balls for the girl's Valentine's Day classes, so we'll probably have something really easy like fish sticks and fries. It's everyone's favorite quick meal around here. Wed, Thurs and Fri nights are ALWAYS quick dinners around here. By the time we get this far in to the week, I have little girls that don't even care to stay awake for dinner, and our daddy doesn't get home until late. We usually snack on things like baby's favorite and peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

See more Monday meal plans at orgjunkie.com.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you are all feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flu stuck around my house for 3 weeks but i do have 5 children to run it through:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know about angelfoodministries.com? For $30, you can buy a box of food that feeds a family of 4 for a week. The quality has definitely improved in the last year too. This helps with our budget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have heard of Angel Food ministries. In the past, I didn't think it would work for us because it was more meat than we need/eat. However, my youngest is a pretty big meat eater, so maybe I should check it out again.

    ReplyDelete

Followers