Sunday, April 24, 2011

Mocha Chocolate Chip Icebox Cake



***WARNING***
This is NOT a frugal recipe. Not at all!

BUT, if you need a special occasion SHOW STOPPER, this is it! It is absolutely incredible. My family decided it was a little bit like a chocolate chip tiramisu. Absolutely YUMMY.

Here is the recipe, from www.foodnetwork.com,
  • 2 cups cold heavy cream
  • 12 ounces Italian mascarpone cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua (I used brewed coffee.)
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Pernigotti
  • 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (I used 1 packet of Starbucks Via.)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 (8-ounce) packages chocolate chip cookies, such as Tate's Bake Shop*
  • Shaved semisweet chocolate, for garnish

Directions

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the heavy cream, mascarpone, sugar, coffee liqueur, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and vanilla. Mix on low speed to combine and then slowly raise the speed, until it forms firm peaks.
To assemble the cake, arrange chocolate chip cookies flat in an 8-inch springform pan, covering the bottom as much as possible. (I break some cookies to fill in the spaces.) Spread a fifth of the mocha whipped cream evenly over the cookies. Place another layer of cookies on top, lying flat and touching, followed by another fifth of the cream. Continue layering cookies and cream until there are 5 layers of each, ending with a layer of cream. Smooth the top, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
Run a small sharp knife around the outside of the cake and remove the sides of the pan. Sprinkle the top with the chocolate, cut in wedges, and serve cold.

*I spent a long time trying to decide what to do for the cookies in the recipe. Tate's cookies are insanely expensive, but I really thought it would be "fine" if I bought Chips Ahoy or Anna's Chocolate Chip Thins. In the end, I decided to try a Tate's recipe that I found online. I'm SO glad that I spent the extra time to make something from scratch. They were AWESOME. Here is the recipe,

Ingredients:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease or line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
  4. In another large bowl, cream the butter and sugars, then add the water and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
  5. Add eggs to the butter mixture and mix them lightly.
  6. Stir in the flour mixture. When flour is mixed in, fold in the chocolate chips.
  7. Drop 2 tablespoonfuls of the cookie dough 2-inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Make sure the cookie sheets are well greased. I like to use parchment paper.
  8. Bake for 12-17 minutes or until the edges and centers of the cookies are golden brown.
  9. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire racks.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lisette!
    I love Tiramisu so I'm sure I'd love this! Thanks for sharing this recipe on Melt in Your Mouth Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. This looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drooling and copying this recipe!!
    Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! Hmmm, I think it would be a great Mother's Day dessert.

    I'd love to have you share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/28/mint-infused-plum-tarte-tatin/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! It would definitely satisfy my chocolate cravings! Thanks for linking up to A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm having a linky party called A Themed Baker's Sunday and this weeks theme is Chocolate! I'd love for you to join!
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/05/themed-bakers-sunday-3.html
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes you have to splurge and create a show stopper! I made a seafood chowder that breaks the bank but making it once a year makes it special. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is stunning! How tasty and delicious :) I'm so glad to see that you linked up this week! Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. I hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks insanely decadent! I'm pinning this for my son's birthday because he is mad for mocha!

    ReplyDelete

Followers