I ended up not making it to Hy-Vee today. Instead, we went to Sam's Club because I had some Tylenol products to take back. I ended up walking with an almost $50 gift card. I was SO excited. $50 sure doesn't go very far there, but I got a few things that will come in handy for our trip: a box of Organic Z-bars, a huge tub of cashews, 14 oz of raspberries and 3 lbs of bananas. I spent about $30, and my mom bought the rest of the $15 gift card from me. I used to cash to replace the medications I sold back to Sam's with generics for our trip.
When we got home, I was super anxious to try out the new fruit salsa recipe I decided to make for Mother's Day tomorrow. Here is the recipe from allrecipes.com:
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced
- 8 ounces raspberries
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
- 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- butter flavored cooking spray
- 2 cups cinnamon sugar
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.
I chopped up the strawberries, added the raspberries and a few black berries, the sugar and a little bit of apricot and raspberry preserves and left everything in the fridge to sit overnight. I'll add the apples and the kiwis in the morning. BUT, I just COULDN'T wait to try what I had. I also wanted to test the chip recipe before tomorrow, so I threw together a quick snack for me and the girls. It is SUPER delicious. I almost am temped to not add the apple and the kiwi, but Ill try it this time since that's what I have on hand. I'm thinking it would be SUPER delicious with peaches instead of apples. I'll definitely be trying that soon! I also love how the little scooper chips turned out. I did have to bake them for close to ten minutes, but they were great -- crunchy and sturdy! So fun!