Saturday, July 16, 2011

What happens when your world turns upside down....

We got some bad news last Friday. Really bad. After 11 years at his employer, my husband got laid off. No severance package. No nothing. Just that he was a "drain on resources" (ie the highest paid technician in his shop) and a "You can apply again in 6 months." It was not a complete shock due to his pay range, but he was employee of the month for May AND June. You just don't expect to be let go a week after an honor like that!

The good news is that because of our financial discipline and God's blessing, we didn't have to panic! Between my salary and his unemployment, we will be able to make ends meet. My husband already has a few good employment possibilities, so we are just trusting in God's plan for our family. He knows what we need better than we do, so we can rest securely in that. We certainly appreciate your prayers as we are transitioning through this phase in our family.

That being said, it is extra important that I stick to our budget! I did unfortunately go a little over our $50 budget, but as ALL snacks, quick eats, and our Sunday afternoon lunch out have been firmly CUT, I have to be able to feed this family! I figure it is more cost effective to go slightly over our grocery budget then to have to hit McDonald's, so I'm not beating myself up over it.

Here is what I got at Price Chopper,


 My pre-tax total was $32.17. I saved $50.26. (Not bad!)

This is from our Hy-Vee purchase (minus a very expensive gallon of milk,)


My pre-tax total at Hy-Vee was about $26.50. I'm not entirely sure how much I saved as Hy-Vee does not report savings totals.

I've only got a few things firmed up for our menu plan. I'm going to make the girl's cherry "cheesecake" popsicles for breakfast throughout the course of the week. Tomorrow's lunch will be a new family favorite, chili dogs with my homemade chili. I'll also make a small batch of chicken and rice, calzones, cavatini, and we will probably have crockpot cranberry chicken at some point. We'll have fruit salad on hand for snacks at the pool. Other meals will include, PB&J, frozen pizza, ham sandwiches and bean and cheese tostadas. All can be paired with the tons of frozen veggies I have in my freezer!

For more meal plans, see orgjunkie.com.

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's job loss! From reading your blog, I can tell that you have amazing discipline and creativity with money.

    Mrs. Petrie @ casapetrie.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you...It seems like milk is always a killer, isn't it? If you find some during a good sale you can freeze it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about the shocking job loss - we had a little more time to prepare, but went through a time of unemployment this year also. God is good and it's been an amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you have a GOOD attitude and positive outlook ... that will definately help your Husband keep his spirits up :) Been there, done that ... the milk thing is out of control lately, isn't it?? No sales anywhere (and my family has 3 milk snobs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no- I'm sorry to hear about the layoff. We just went through that, and thanks to God my husband was blessed with a great job after about 6 months of unemployment.

    You are such an inspiration- I can't even believe how much money you save!! I've followed you and look forward to much more thrifty goodness.

    Blessings, Ally

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job... but, you've kept a beautiful perspective trusting in God. He will bless your faithfulness.

    Thanks for sharing your menu with us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and I am praying for you and your family, girl. The Lord provides to those who remain faithful, your struggle does not go unseen. Sending Hugs and Strength your way! <3 from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contact me I want to send you some extremely helpful coupons. Shoot me an e-mail or drop by my blog glossymoney.com

    I would love to help your family in this great time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from Money Saving Mom. Prayers for you and your family. Our family went through a six month period with my husband being unemployed. Like you, I was so thankful we had been diligent with our finances. We were able to weather the storm with my income and hubby's unemployment. In the end, my husband found a wonderful new position. Really everything we had prayed for in a job. So losing his job turned out to be a wonderful blessing. Hoping for the same for your family.

    Stay positive and keep the faith!

    Mary Ellen
    The Working Home Keeper

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very impressed with how you are charging forward and working with the situation you have been given. A couple years ago this happened to my husband and we had to give up our apartment and live with my parents during the unemployment period. Just saying hi! found you on organized junkie.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive